Monday, November 22, 2010

friends, intimate friends and acquaintances .

I was sitting in one of my classes this week and I heard the teacher say "there are 3 types of people in the business world, acquaintances, friends and intimate friends." He then said, "you may have a hundred acquaintances, ten friends and you are lucky if you have one intimate friend." I've been thinking of this all week. With the recent passing of my cousin I have been seeing my thoughts turn rapidly to how can I be a friend to all? I've decided there are two main ways to be a friend to everyone.

First, listen. Simple as that, let them talk to you and listen to what they are saying. If someone needs advice the and is willing to ask me for it as a friend, I can only give them good advice if I listen first.
Second thing to do is support them. If I see someone who needs help, support them in their time of need. I think of a friend who text me this morning telling me his uncle had passed away and I thought to myself, "how can I help him?" I text him back and said, "if you need a someone to talk to, let out your anger or console in, I'm here for you man."

I think that by listening to what he had told me in the last week and by giving him my support even when he didn't need it I was able to be a good friend and hopefully help him. Hopefully as I progress in my life and gain many more acquaintances I can develop these friendships with many of them. I would much rather have 100 friends, 10 acquaintances and 1 intimate friend.

So I guess what I want to say here is that if anyone reads this, they'll take the time to listen to at least one person and give them support, even when they don't need it because friendship is part of the backbone of life and I think that we gain many things beyond relationships from being a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment