Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Another quarter has come to an end at The Ohio State University. I have been away from the blog for so long I'm surprised I remember my passwords. This quarter has taught me many new things about agriculture, business, communications and life in general. I hope that I manage to take positive things from the experiences and apply them to my life.

I'm excited to announce that I learned to use dreamweaver and design a website, use css, photoshop and other techniques. I chose to do a basic web page for our family farm, Standing Oaks Enterprises. I know that it isn't the most beautiful design or the most interactive page, but I'm proud of my accomplishments and I'm confident I can do it again if I need to.

The ability to use technology to advocate for agriculture is just continuing to blow my mind. Each day in class, I see more and more the importance of being professional, reliable and open to talk about farming. I think it is great to see young ag professionals such as myself and fellow students stand up for agriculture, attend meetings about the Ohio Livestock Care Board, promote agriculture in the campus community and encourage others to learn more about agriculture.

I hope that as my college career continues I can become more involved in promoting agriculture around campus and gain valuable friendships, experiences and skills. I plan to use some of my agvocating skills in an internship this summer, even though I'm not sure where I'll be working or what I'll be doing I know I will always be able to talk about agriculture.

Spring break began today for me, but unlike the typical college kid I will be staying in Ohio to work on the farm during my time away from school (and I'm extremely excited about it). I miss being involved with the day to day chores at the farm, hanging out with my family all day and talking to some old friends.  Over the next 2 weeks I will be:

  • Washing  multiple finishing barns and nurseries for Standing Oaks and other producer
  • Attend Ohio Beef Expo
  • Hauling more grain to the elevator in town to keep our contracts full/allow us to have pig feed
  • Preparing equipment for spring season (PLANTING CROPS)!
  • Cleaning and organizing the shop
  • Servicing farm trucks, family vehicles 
  • Spending the remaining time with my family
Hopefully I'll get a chance to write down my reflections of the farm life and what all I get done over my spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment