Sunday, April 27, 2014

A New Look

Throughout life, you encounter many changes, and those changes can shape you into a new, better person if you choose to be proactive about change and make that change into what you want it to be. The time has come for many changes in my life, but the two I want to focus on right now are graduating from college, and moving for the first time. 

One week from today I will be receiving my Bachelor's Degree from The Ohio State University. That is a huge accomplishment for me and although it took five years to get, I have cherished every minute of it. I am proud to say that I made the most of it and while I will miss it, I am glad to put it behind me.

Two weeks from today I will be moving to Des Moines, Iowa to begin my first job. I will be working as a project manager for the Prasino Group. I have struggled quite a bit in my mind with this change. On one hand, I am extremely excited to see what the business world has in store for me, and I am confident that I will be a good fit for the job. However, on the other hand, in two weeks, I will become the person that I have spent years advocating for. In two weeks I find myself heading towards one generation removed from the family farm. It's a strange feeling, knowing that I won't be able to make the short drive home when I need time away from the city, I won't be able to see my family regularly, and I won't be involved in the daily operations of the farm. 

I quickly have realized that while I may be removed, the farm and rural lifestyle will not leave my life and they will always be present to help me through situations. I am thankful for everything that I have learned throughout the years that have brought me to this point, and I am excited to head out to Iowa and see what I can be a part of out there. 

You may have noticed my blog has gone through a transformation (which isn't complete yet), but I felt that the title Reflections of a Country Boy don't really fit the grown up(ish) version of who I am. My blog will soon be used for sharing stories of my career and my personal experiences, which have changed from college life to learning how to be a real adult. I hope that you will continue to follow along with me on this journey, and please leave your comments and suggestions as to how I can make my blog better, or what you may like to read on it. I hope you share it with others and it can help you begin to have conversations about agriculture with someone you know. 

So as I face some big challenges and changes over the next few weeks/months, I hope that I can remain calm and know that all will be ok. Change is inevitable, personal character is molded and developed out of how you react to change. I hope to build a strong mold for my character both personally and professionally in the future. Thanks for reading, I hope to write again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new job Sam and of course, graduation. Tell Matt I said hello!

    ReplyDelete