Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A New Path To Learn On

I made it! I survived two years of ATI and studying towards my degree, oh that's right...two more years still. well darn, at least I get til mid September to rest. When I say rest, I mean work. I got a new job this summer which is quickly shaping up to be more than  I thought it would be. That's ok though, I'm enjoying it so far and I seem to be able to handle the workload.

I am the new barn/grounds manager for a local hippotherapy center near my hometown. I spend up to ten hours a day with horses helping both physical and occupational therapists work with children that have special needs to build muscle strength, balance and muscle strength. I kind of fell into the job through some volunteer work I did their this winter.

The problem I keep seeing is that I have ZERO experience with horses! I have a strong farming background, but not a horse background. I as worried at first, but after the first few days I seem to fit in with the others I work with. Part of my job will include building a hay loft and tack room this summer. I look forward to using some construction skills in my job as well. I will try to take some pictures through the upcoming weeks and post them on here and talk about some of the things I've been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment