Monday, July 23, 2012

AgriPOWER: Session 1

We began our AgriPOWER institute this weekend in Columbus, OH at the Ohio Farm Bureau office. The discussion for the weekend focused around "me" and how we all have strengths and weaknesses in our leadership style.

We spent time doing introductions and getting to know each other and I immediately found folks who had much in common with myself whether it was school, business, family or hobbies. I introduced myself and the family farm, Standing Oaks Enterprises and what my role in our farm is.

Weeks before our meeting we had to do a personality, leadership test with some very nice people from Kinexa company to help us determine and interpret our leadership traits, strengths and weaknesses. From there Kinexa would build a profile for each of us in the group and we would be able to follow along with their part of the training during our first session of the institute. Kinexa focused on 5 strengths for each person that help build your strongest possible profile.

My profile consisted of Responsibility, Activator, Stimulator, Mission and Interpersonal skill traits as my leading strengths. These were all very accurate of how I feel I act in my lifestyle and personality.The biggest surprise in my profile to me is that the section for motivators, being ego and drive were both vacant in my profile strengths. Not to say they don't exist, but I thought they would be more present in my strengths.

We spent a few hours discussing how these traits build your management style, decision making process and even your choice in friends. I thought it was all very interesting to see how we all have our unique ways of concluding things and even interpreting our own traits.

Overall AgriPOWER started with a successful weekend and I had an absolute blast. I can't wait to go to the second session to learn more and report back here what I thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment