Friday, July 26, 2013

Like Father, Like Son

This week I was given the opportunity to advocate for the pig industry in a new way. I was asked to give a presentation to the Crown Point Rotary Club about Fair Oaks Farms and the Pig Adventure.

I felt a sense of maturity when I was asked to do this because I my father has given a lot of similar talks about pig farming to Rotarians back home in Ohio. In fact dad's passion for educating people about what we do is one reason I chose to study agriculture communication. My father has been a great role model for me as n advocate and has given me a lot of help in the area of public speaking about agriculture.

To me, it was a no brainer to go and speak to a group of local business folks about the exciting things going on at Fair Oaks Farms. So over the past week I put together a presentation discussing many things about the future of Fair Oaks Farms as well as the Pig Adventure. I felt that it was important to explain to people my concern for transparency in agriculture and the importance of agri-tourism as an excellent opportunity to have conversations about what modern day agriculture is.

So Wednesday I gave my presentation to about 40 Rotarians. They were very welcoming and open to listening to my presentation. The questions that followed the presentation were normal ones that I felt comfortable answering, most revolving around the pig industry and the future plans for Fair Oaks Farms.

All in all, it was a really rewarding and enjoyable time in which I felt myself starting to expand my confidence in public speaking about our industry. I know it wasn't much, and it surely wasn't a big crowd, but I really enjoyed it and was able to help provide information about our industry to more people who have a lot of influence in their community.

I decided to stay out in Indiana for the grand opening of the Pig Adventure on August 5, 2013. That will be the last day of my internship, and therefore the countdown is on! I can't wait to see what comes in the next week or so!


No comments:

Post a Comment