Friday, August 2, 2013

Then End Is Just The Beginning

My internship will come to a close on Monday, August 5. I am a bit torn about this fact, because I have such a passion for talking about the pig industry and I take a lot of personal responsibility and pride in showing the guests at the Pig Adventure what it is we do.

Some of my favorite co-workers
Having said all that, this has been a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to help develop the programs that are going to be on the frontline of Fair Oaks' agri-tourism and educational tours. The experiences have ranged from exciting and great adventures to extreme stress from plans going wrong, criticism being heavy, and just the normal speed-bumps of life.

 But through the high and low times of this internship I have been able to remain true to myself as a person. My character as a professional in agriculture has been tested many times, and many times has come away with a new way of looking at things and making me a more rounded individual.


The intern team through thick and thin
I have had the pleasure to work with other high caliber interns who are as passionate as I am about our industry and just as excited for the future as I am. I have been able to surround myself with some of the best in the business when it comes to building these agri-tainment and education programs. My supervisors from both Fair Oaks Farms & Belstra Milling Company have helped me grow in more ways than I can think of.

Going into the last few days of my internship I will have one more weekend opportunity to speak to thousands of people that we expect to see over the weekend and at our grand opening on August 5, 2013. I hope for nothing more than to end on a high note, but if it doesn't play out that way, I'm sure I will be able to present myself to the best of my ability as that has grown over the summer.

Looking forward to the future, I can already see how this internship will provide me with many opportunities to achieve a career in agriculture. My exposure to first hand concerns from consumers of all kinds has given me a unique way of thinking that I feel stands out from other internships. My training to answer concerns and questions has been tested and moving forward I think can make for a valuable asset to a company. While I will miss working here, I know that this is the beginning of what I believe will be a great opportunity for both myself moving forward, and many other interns to come!

A special thanks goes out to Malcolm, Jon, Gary, Jamie, Julie, Brock, Jodi, Leah, Phil and everyone else I have had the opportunity to work with at Fair Oaks and Belstra Milling this summer! I hope that the future is bright for us all and that the opportunity to have meaningful conversations continues to grow.

1 comment:

  1. Another exellent piece of literature. All my best to you, Mr. Wildman. I learned from YOU and the Pig Adventure is better because you were a part of the development. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete